Monday, June 2, 2008

To Purchase Handmade, in a nutshell

I made my first Etsy purchase today!!!

I am so excited. Normally I hate speding money on toys and such, but my daughter was checking out the site with me and fell absolutely in love with a mermaid toy. So I just had to get it for her. And you know what? I felt exhilarated and totally justified in doing so. It feels really good to buy handmade. It feels really good knowing that my daughter will have a beautiful plaything that someone cared enough to actually make, instead of send it down an assembly line. It feels special knowing that she loves something (or will love something, we just ordered it today) that someone else lovingly created.

She watches me work and loves to 'help' mommy, but she doesn't quite understand what I am doing. She is only three, but I hope to instill in her the love and importance of handmade goods. When her new lovey arrives I'm going to tell her how it was created just for her, by someone who knew she would love it very much...



If you would like your own 'Free-Range Mermaid' (made from organic cotton) - please visit:
http://www.cswbeach.etsy.com/

No comments: