Friday, July 25, 2008

PROJECT G.A.B.E. (Giving Art, Becoming Enriched)

This is something new that I am doing for my son (it is named after him). As some of you know, my 5 yr old has a behavior disorder called oppositional defiance disorder. He does not understand his emotions and has trouble controlling his behavior. This causes him fits of anger, sadness and even violence. He is currently in a therapy program (and it is helping immensely) and we are starting to integrate ways for him to learn to control his own behavior - not just us controlling it for him. This therapy is based on creativity and art as a means to heal.

He also has 'quite time' everday where he sits with trading cards and tells out stories of how the characters are feeling. I love this form of therapy as it helps him identify emotions, but I am not happy with the trading cards currently on the market - most are violent and not appropriate for children with anger problems. So we are in the process of obtaining ACEOs for him to use instead. There are some wonderful, talented artists on Etsy who have offered to create ACEO sets for him to use and I could not be happier.

Project G.A.B.E. items are pictures that my son has made during his creativity time. He picked the ones that he is willing to 'share' (sorry, some of them are too important to him to let go). The money from his pictures will be used to purchase these wonderful ACEO sets.

All pictures are drawn/colored in his very own sketch book (his favorite thing) with crayola washable markers (scented, of course). My son titles all of the pictures. And although I write the titles and dates on the back, he signs them himself.

We have been so blessed by the kindness, compassion and support of fellow Etsians. I just want to say thank you to everyone!!! And a special thank you to those who donated ACEOs to aid in my son's therapy - I really appreciate it.

Thank you for taking time out to read this.

Please convo me(on Etsy) if you have any questions.

Please check out the artists who are creating these ACEO sets - they do amazing work.

Beth Peardon Prods:
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5109141

Dawn Lewis Imagery:
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5542088

For updated info on Project G.A.B.E. or for other Three of Wands happenings - Keep checking out my blog


Please - Support the Arts, it can make a world of difference!!!

No comments: